Status of Residence "Specialist in Humanities/International Services"

Activities to engage in services, which require knowledge pertinent to jurisprudence, economics, sociology or other human science fields or to engage in services which require specific ways of thought or sensitivity based on experience with foreign culture, based on a contract with a public or private organization in Japan.


Specialist in Humanities

  • In cases where the applicant is to engage in services that require knowledge in the humanities, he/she must have graduated from or have completed a course at a college or acquired equivalent education majoring in a subject pertaining to the knowledge necessary for performing the services concerned, or have at least 10 years' experience (including the period of time spent majoring in the subject pertaining to the knowledge at a college, college of technology (koutousenmongakkou), upper secondary school, the latter course of a secondary educational school (chutokyouikugakkou) or during a specialized course of study at an advanced vocational school.
  • The applicant must receive no less reward than a Japanese national would receive for comparable work.

International Services

  • The applicant must engage in translation, interpretation, instruction in languages, public relations, overseas transactions, fashion or interior design, product development or other similar work.
  • The applicant must have at least 3 years' experience in the relevant services, however, this shall not apply to cases where the applicant who has graduated from college is to engage in translation, interpretation or instruction in languages.
  • The applicant must receive no less reward than a Japanese national would receive for comparable work.

Be Exempted from Immigration Bureaus!

In order to apply for certificate of eligibility or change the status of residence, you must appear at a regional immigration bureau. We collect required documents, apply at a regional immigration bureau, receive the documents and send them to you. You no longer concern about your status of residence.