Status of Residence "Instructor"

Activities to engage in language instruction and other education at an elementary school, lower secondary school, upper secondary school, secondary educational school, school for special needs education, advanced vocational school, vocational school (kakushugakko) or other educational institution equivalent to a vocational school in facilities and curriculum.


  • The applicant must have graduated from or have completed a course at a college or acquired equivalent education, or must hold a license to teach the subject that he/she intends to teach in Japan.
  • When the applicant is to teach a foreign language, he/she must have acquired education in that language for at least 12 years. When the applicant is to teach other subjects, he/she must have at least 5 years of teaching experience in that subject.
  • The applicant must receive no less reward than a Japanese national would receive for comparable work.

Be Exempted from Immigration Bureaus!

In order to apply for certificate of eligibility or change the status of residence, you must appear at a regional immigration bureau. We collect required documents, apply at a regional immigration bureau, receive the documents and send them to you. You no longer concern about your status of residence.